Saturday, July 9, 2016

Not your typical pot roast

Not your typical pot roast



Ok so we have all seen plenty of pot roasts over the years. You know the potatoes and vegetables on the bottom then the meat and either water or stock added to sit and cook all day. Well this is not that kinda of pot roast in any way other than I cooked it in a crock pot (slow cooker).

So cooking this meat only requires 4 ingredients. It requires a boston butt (mine barely fits in the crock pot), a can of cola (store brand or name brand doesn't matter), montreal steak seasoning, and cinnamon sugar.

First just open the butt and place it into the slower cooker. Next pour in your can of soda and sprinkle a little  of the montreal steak seasoning all over the top. Then shake the cinnamon sugar all over the top of the butt to completely cover it. Put on the lid turn it on and let it cook. Cook time will vary based on your cooker. In mine I put it on high  and let it cook about 6 hours. After time is up we pull it out and we have this amazing butt that shreds so easily and can be used in many ways.

 Here it is fresh from the crock pot. please be careful if u try to pull it in one piece like I did. Also save the liquid it cooked in to make the gravy.



So to go with this I just browned some tortilla is a cast iron pan that I lightly sprayed with non stick spray (I learned my lesson on it).

I also made a package of Knorr Spanish Rice which I didn't take a picture of but I made it per the instructions on the back.

Now onto the gravy. This was a first for me trying this and it worked great. I grabbed a deeper cast iron pot and let it start to heat as I put a sifter across the top and pour the leftover juice mixture from the crock pot so that it strained out the fat and any meat I missed out(only missed out a tiny piece). To this mixture I added about a cup of beef broth. I let that all heat up and used my whisk to skim the thin film of fat that started to sit on the top. Once that little layer was gone I took and added 2 cups of all purpose flour and used a whisk to incorporate the flour into the liquid and within minutes it started to thicken and in under 3 minutes I had this big ol pot of gravy. This could take a little longer if using non stick pot or stainless steel as they conduct heat a little slower.  Here is what I ended up with on this experiment.


This picture is only half of what it made. You can see the line where it was but I had poured half into a serving dish before I thought to get a picture to share. It turned out to be a big hit since everyone cleaned their plates and 3 of my 4 kids went back for seconds and thirds.  


Overall a great meal and now to find new ways to use the leftover gravy and more new ways to use the leftover boston butt. 


No comments:

Post a Comment